Makes 1 x 7” Pie
For the pastry crust make 1 ½ times the quantity needed for the Apple Pie
½ kg Chicken / Lamb mince
1 large onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon oil
2 large tomatoes skinned, deseeded and puree
1 sprig each, fresh rosemary and thyme
2 tablespoons, chopped garlic or chives
2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon Pepper
½ cup grated Parmesan or Cheddar Cheese
- Fry the onions over medium heat in oil till they are glassy and change colour.
- Add in the tomatoes and let the liquid dry out a little. Add in the mince and stir constantly to break up any lumps. Stir till it changes colour. Add in the herbs, barbeque sauce, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Add in ¼ cup water and let it cook, covered for another 15 minutes. Open the lid and on a high flame stirring constantly dry out the juices if any.
- When cooled spoon the mince into the ready shell which has been egg washed. Sprinkle the cheese over the mince.
- Roll out a thin ¼” circle from the remaining dough and lay it on top to cover the filling. Make a few slashes with a knife to let out steam or make cut outs with tiny shape cutters. Brush the top with egg
- Bake in a preheated 190oC oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden and flaky.